There are a lot of Christmas markets around Colmar: Eguisheim, Kaysersberg… but as soon as you go in the south of the region, there are fewer and fewer of them. It’s a shame, because some of them are worth a stop, as for example Thann Christmas Market, a small town at the entrance of the Alsace Wine Route.
This market (about forty chalets) with authentic decorations is divided into three locations:
– Place Joffre: you can find, around the collegiate Saint-Thiébaut (a flamboyant gothic architectural gem, which is worth a stop in itself), the largest Christmas market in Thann: there are a lot of treats (it’s also possible to eat inside), but you’ll also find gift ideas (jewellery, bags, accessories…). You’ll find, under the large Christmas tree (and apparently 2km of tinsel, as we say), Father Christmas mailbox: you can drop off your letter to Father Christmas, and for the luckiest ones, you can even meet him! There is also a stage near the collegiate for show days (done by the community of builders).
–Place Saint Thiébaut: it’s my favourite part of town, with illuminated facades exalting the chalets around the superbly decorated fountain (also named Saint Thiébaut)… for me, it’s the most beautiful square in Thann at Christmas time! It’s the perfect place to drink a (honey) mulled wine or to do some shopping (farm products, jewellery…).
– Place de Lattre: it’s one of the best spots for families, as it’s where you’ll find the carrousel! To get there, take the “Rue de la Première armée”, to enjoy the decorated façades with their Christmas colours: some of them are really worth a stop. When going back, why not take the “Rue Gerthoffer” to visit the shop of talented designers Une Pluie d’Etoiles or, for those still a bit hungry, Les Fromandises at the corner of Place Joffre.
There are also two exhibitions during Christmas Market time: one is devoted to toys in the Town Hall and the other, in the library, to the theme of treats.
In short, if you are looking, just like me, for a warm and welcoming Christmas market, full of authenticity (for the products on sale and the setting), you should definitely come and have a look at Thann Christmas Market!
- The atmosphere
- The large Christmas Tree under which you can drink mulled wine and send your letter to Father Christmas
- The illuminated façades around the collegiate
I liked a little less
My pictures of Thann Christmas Market
Thann Christmas Market is open every day until the 24th of December (and it’s one of the only ones in the South of Alsace, just like Mulhouse!).
Activities and events
To see the full schedule of activities and events of this Christmas Market, please click here.
The address is as follows: Marché de Noël de Thann, Place Joffre, 68800 Thann. It is located about:
- 121 km from Strasbourg (about 1h20 drive)
- 45 km from Colmar (about 41 min drive)
- 21 km from Mulhouse (about 25 min drive)
By public transport
You can check your itinerary on Vialsace.