Obernai Christmas market is one of my favourites in Alsace. As I’ve already written, Obernai is a pretty little town that is quite nice to visit yearlong. With its belfry, its beautiful buildings and half-timbered facades, Obernai is undeniably charming. At Christmas, the town is swathed with pretty illuminations and decorations, immersing visitors with delight into the magical atmosphere of the holiday season. It’s the perfect backdrop for a Christmas market!
Obernai Christmas market, called the Christmas Market of Gastronomy and Arts and Crafts is of very good size. It is not huge, but sufficiently big to spend some time wandering around. Its magic words are authenticity and conviviality and I promise you… these are not empty words! Exhibitors are selected and you can definitely see it: it is a Christmas market where the products on offer are of good quality and are mostly from the area. The atmosphere is good, welcoming and friendly. All the exhibitors are getting along great and you can feel it!
The stalls of the Christmas market are located on four squares:
- Place du Beffroi, for Alsatian gastronomy
- Place du Marché, for arts and crafts, but also with a few food stalls. There is also carousel, a Christmas tree and the nativity scene.
- Place Neher, with arts and crafts and gastronomy
- Place de l’Etoile, with the Petit Train for children and a carousel
The Tourist Office also organizes some activities like story walks, shows or concerts. I have personally tried the Tournée des Bredele (bredele are small Asatian Christmas biscuits) and the concept of the tour is very funny. The idea is to walk around Obernai while striking up into Christmas songs, whose lyrics have been revisited (only talking now about bredele), all the while stopping regularly at different bakeries in town to taste them. During the visit, you’ll also learn more about the history of bredele and their making.
Not to be missed at Obernai Christmas Market
- Don’t miss place de l’Etoile to enjoy the petit train, as well as the carousel. There is another one on place du Marché.
- They should also enjoy a visit to the sheep and to the white donkey Léo, located near the nativity scene (place du Marché).
For children and adults alike
- An exhibition of Alsatian nativity scenes in the Church Saints Pierre et Paul. This small exhibition is unique, since you will find very varied nativity scenes: made in chocolate, sugar, stained-glass, pottery, wood…
- Itinerant shows and story walks are nice activities to dive into the atmosphere of Alsatian Christmas. Have a look at the schedule of the tourist office to know their dates.
- Taking part in a bredele, mannele or stollen-making workshop (they are all typical of Christmas season in Alsace) in one of the bakeries in town. It’s great for gourmet-lovers, it’s interesting and it’s convivial! I loved the one I took part in at the bakery Degermann, whose owner is passionate and adorable!
My favorite addresses for Christmas in Obernai
The best mulled wine of Obernai Christmas Market
It seems that the best mulled wine was the one from the Vignerons d’Obernai. Their mulled white wine, made with Sylvaner, is delicious! Go to the tourist office to taste it (you cannot miss it, it’s in a huge cauldron!).
To savor a good soup, with Riesling of course!
I tasted this delicious Riesling soup for the first time when I came to Alsace five years ago and I still remember it! After tasting it again, I can confirm: it is excellent! Look for it at the stall Ries’soup located at place du Beffroi.
For Foie Gras lovers
The foie gras from the Schmitt farm is a reference in Alsace. You will find it on the farm stall, facing the tourist office.
To buy beautiful Alsatian hearts
Hearts are one of the symbols of Alsace: you will see them everywhere! If you want to buy some to decorate your house, your tree or to have a nice keyring, Christiane Koch stall is the place to go, on the market square: all her hearts are handmade in Alsace!
To buy delightful Christmas decorations
You should have a look at the stand La Forêt des Elfes, run by Harry, a very nice Swiss man, who takes a month-long holiday every year to come and run this stall and present the objects of his Alsatian creator friends. He is a genuine enthusiast who loves the atmosphere of Christmas markets!
Don’t forget to have a look at the Stecostar shop, offering superb artisanal Christmas decorations from Alsace and Germany.
For other good addresses, don’t hesitate to read my article about Obernai.
- The charm of Obernai
- A pretty and authentic Christmas market
- Beautiful city decorations
- Fun activities
I liked a little less
- Too crowded over the weekend
My pictures of Obernai Christmas Market
Opening dates and times
You will find here the opening dates and times of Obernai Christmas market.
Obernai is located:
- 30 km from Strasbourg (about 30 minutes drive)
- 47 km from Colmar (about 40 minutes drive)
- 90 km from Mulhouse (about 1h10 drive)
By public transport
You can have a look on Vialsace.