The season of Christmas markets is in full swing in Alsace. If the eyes are naturally turned towards Strasbourg, Colmar or Kaysersberg, some smaller markets are doing well. I’ll take you to Northern Alsace to discover the one in Soultz-sous-Forêts, a little nugget hidden behind the forest of Haguenau. It is also possible to combine this visit with the Christmas market in Haguenau: both cities are only 20 minutes away from each other.
Soultz-sous-forêts, an intimate and family Christmas market
In the heart of the natural region of the Outre Forêt, the Christmas market of Soultz-sous-Forêts surprises me as soon as I arrive. There is a kind of serenity, far from the frenzy of other markets, and a good-natured side. The village of 3,500 inhabitants comes alive every Saturday and Sunday in December around its cultural relay of La Saline.
The Place du Général de Gaulle is home to a small skating rink where children can try their hand at the pleasures of sliding, both on skates and on their butts. All around are a few wooden chalets where craftsmen and local merchants offer traditional Christmas treats: bredele, mulled wine or other pancakes. You can also find Christmas decorations or wooden toys made in Alsace.
Beyond the ice rink, children will particularly appreciate the animations proposed on the square:
- The meeting of emblematic characters of Christmas like the Wiehnachtsmann all dressed in green who, under the bandstand, lends himself with pleasure to photos and confidences of children
- Mr. François, Santa’s personal mailman, who travels around the market telling funny and exciting stories on his scooter. As a good letter carrier, he will not fail to remind the latecomers to send their letter to Santa Claus.
Warm animations in La Saline
The other asset of the Soultz-sous-Forêts Christmas market is its pretty cultural center, the Saline, which allows you to enjoy activities (and toilets!) in the warmth of :
- Shows in Alsatian and classic cartoons in the auditorium (entrance fee)
- A bredele decoration workshop for children with a pastry chef
- A 19th century style Café Bistro as pleasant as it is supportive. The furniture is on loan from Emmaus Haguenau. If you like the chair you are sitting in to drink your coffee, you can buy it from the association.
In short, you will have understood, I really appreciated this small Christmas market where we don’t step on each other’s toes, where children have fun with many activities and where local actors are put forward.
- The activities proposed for the children
- Local artisans and merchants
- Easy parking right next door
I liked less
- The market remains small and one makes quickly the turn
My photos of the Soultz-sous-Forêts Christmas Market
Opening dates and times 2022
The Christmas market of Soultz-sous-Forêts is open on Saturdays (from 4pm to 7pm) and Sundays (from 2pm to 7pm) from November 26 to December 18, 2022.
The address is as follows: Place du Général de Gaulle, 67250 Soultz-sous-Forêts. It is necessary to count:
- 17km from Haguenau (about 20 minutes)
- 53km from Strasbourg (about 45 minutes)
- 120 km from Colmar (about 1h30)
- 165km from Mulhouse (about 1h45)
By public transport
You can watch on Fluo.