After trying out paramotor and helicopter, I had to try ultralight airplane! An ultralight airplane is a multi-axis microlight. For a non-connoisseur, it looks like an airplane on every angle, but slightly smaller. I took part in a flight with Aéros Air, which is based at Mulhouse-Habsheim airport and directed by Hugues, a very friendly man.
Hugues has been passionate about aviation since a young age, is a qualified airline pilot and of course a microlight pilot. As soon as you will get there, he will take you along in his passion: explanations about the flight you will take, characteristics and functioning of the plane, maintenance, safety rules… Everything is clear and you can feel that he has a very broad experience, which is really reassuring! There is even a parachute for the plane, in case the engine breaks down above a zone where it is impossible to glide and land safely.
And then, it’s time to fly! To be able to try out several packages in one, I did a sightseeing flight with a sequence of initiation to piloting. Aéros Air offers indeed sightseeing flights of varied duration to fly over the most beautiful parts of Alsace (Wine Route, Neuf Brisach, Valley of Munster, Grand Ballon…), but also piloting introductory flights. As on a driving school car, the plane has double commands. It’s fun and interesting and it’s actually quite strange to pilot a plane by yourself. Of course, Alsace is still very beautiful seen from the sky and during the flight, you will get to see a beautiful show! Don’t forget your sunglasses, it can be useful…
- Small pleasant plane
- Very friendly pilot and very good teacher (he also speaks English and German)
- Interesting introduction to piloting
- Flying over Alsace is always wonderful!
I liked a little less
My pictures of the ultralight airplane flight with Aéros Air
Here are the different packages offered by Aéros Air:
First flights ans sightseeing flights
- First flight (20 minutes) – 65€
- Discovery flight (35 minutes) – 99€
- Circuit “Plaine of the Rhin” (Mulhouse, Neuf Brisach, Colmar and Guebwiller) – 149€
- Circuit “Vineyards and castles” (Plaine, Wine Route and castles between Colmar and Mulhouse) – 149€
- Circuit “Sundgau” (Mulhouse, Altkirch, Ferrette, Dannemarie, Michelbach) – 149€
- Circuit “Ballons des Vosges” (Summits and valleys of the Vosges) – 179€
- Discovery Aéro in double commands (15 min briefing + 35 min piloting) – 155€
- Introduction to piloting (20 min briefing + 45 min piloting) – 199€
- Intensive piloting ( 20 min briefing + 1h piloting) – 265€
- Package initiation to piloting (briefing + 5h piloting) – 600€ (+ 50€ of one-time admission fees to piloting school + licence FFPULM)
- Training for pilot licence – Prices on demand
Please contact Hugues directly (form below) to set up an appointment with him. The appointment might be postponed because of weather conditions.
The address is as follows: rue de l’Aérodrome 68170 Rixheim. The aerodrome of Mulhouse-Habsheim is located:
- 12 km from Mulhouse (about 15 minutes drive)
- 40 km from Colmar (about 30 minutes drive)
- 115 km from Strasbourg (about 1h15 drive)
By pubic transport
It is not that easy, but you can have a look on Vialsace.