Guebwiller Christmas market is called “Blue Christmas”. Why this name? First of all, for the blue line of the Vosges, at the foot of which is located the town. Then, for “Bleu de Deck”, a turquoise blue created by the ceramicist Théodore Deck in the 19th century, who was from Guebwiller.
Guebwiller Christmas market is therefore organized around this theme. During Blue Christmas, the streets are lit with blue and a few facades of the town are also lit (the theme was Magritte in 2015). Guebwiller also has 3 markets:
- an arts and crafts market
- a market dedicated to local products
- a traditional market, organized by the Lions Club
I visited the arts and crafts market, as well as the one dedicated to local products, but not the traditional one, as it is closed on Fridays. The markets are small (only a few chalets each), but you will find there exclusively local products.
Even though Guebwiller Chrismas market is small and doesn’t have the magical side that some more famous Christmas markets can have, such as Colmar or Kaysersberg, it is quite pleasant and offers quality products. It’s a good option for those who want to flee major markets and look for a very local atmosphere.
Not to be missed at Guebwiller Christmas market
- The video mapping in the Dominicains of Haute-Alsace. A very beautiful 12-minutes show in the splendid cloister of the Dominicains!
- The lights of the Hôtel de Ville and of the Eglise Saint-Léger. They are the best ones, as the other disappointed me a bit.
- The exhibition “Dominante Bleu” at the museum Théodore Deck. Ceramicists from the European Ceramic Arts Institute of Guebwiller exhibit and sell their work there.
My favorite addresses in Guebwiller
The best mulled wine of Guebwiller Christmas market
The best mulled wine of Guebwiller, should be, according to my sources, at the chalet of L’Amicale de la ville, on the local products market. I have tried it and it is indeed very good!
To taste good cupcakes
It is not very traditional of a Christmas market, but the stand of Lya et Syl is a beautiful discovery. They both come from Guebwiller, offering catering services and workshops at home in Alsace. On their stand, they offer cheesecakes, cupcakes, brownies and other Christmas biscuits. They have reconciled me with cupcakes: without butter cream, it’s much better!
To take a break in a warm place
If you want a sweet break in a warm place, go to pâtisserie Dany Husser. It’s not very cosy, but the pastries are to die for!
- Video mapping and light shows
- A small, pleasant and convivial Christmas Market
I liked a little less
- Less decorations than in other Alsatian towns: it is less magical
- Small market
My pictures of Guebwiller Christmas market
You will find here the opening times and schedule of Guebwiller Blue Christmas market.
The Christmas markets are located in Guebwiller town center. Guebwiller is located:
- 24 km from Mulhouse (about 25 minutes drive)
- 29 km from Colmar (about 30 minutes drive)
- 106 km from Strasbourg (about 1h20 drive)
By public transport
You can have a look on Vialsace.