Colmar Christmas Market is my favorite Christmas Market in Alsace. I was dazzled by the beauty of the town dressed in its Christmas attire the first time I went and I am still filled with wonder every single year. Needless to say that Colmar is a splendid city in all seasons: colorful half-timbered houses, cobbled streets, small canals through the town… quite simply, it’s a true postcard!
When approaching the end of November, Colmar starts to be decorated with pretty decorations and illuminations. All the town center gets very festive. The atmosphere becomes simply magical when the chalets hosting the shops of the Christmas Market open their doors and that a fresh smell of gingerbread and of mulled wine invades the town…
Five different Christmas Markets are installed in Colmar. Don’t worry, it’s really easy to walk from one market to the other! Here are the different locations of the market and their specificities:
- Market of the Place des Dominicains
- Christmas Market of the Place de l’ancienne Douane
- Covered market of Koïfhus (Place de l’Ancienne Douane, but inside the building), for regional crafts
- Christmas Market of the Little Venice (Place des Six Montagnes Noires), more specifically for children (but not only!). You will find there carousels, a few animals (sheep, rabbits, chickens), as well as Father Christmas Mailbox.
- Christmas Market of Place Jeanne d’Arc, more focused on gastronomy.
In addition to these five markets, there are several attractions on Place Rapp, like a ice-skating rink, an attraction for children (caterpillar ride) or even a carousel-bar (for those who who want to have a drink in a carousel!).
Not to be missed in Colmar Christmas Market
- The carousel-bar, to have a drink in a unique place
- The exhibition of about twenty pieces of Alsatian crafts at the Church of Dominicans (admission fee 1€, a good price considering that the Church in itself is already worth it!)
For young and old alike
- The ice-skating rink, where you have fun at a very little price. Have a look at the opening times and prices here.
- The children singing Christmas on small boats: a choir of children singing on the famous small boats of the Little Venice. Absolutely magical! Have a look at the dates and times here.
- The caterpillar ride on the Place Rapp
- The small exhibition of the Toy Museum on the 1st floor of Koïfhus
- The Christmas Market of Little Venice with its carousels and Father Christmas Mailbox. All children who posted a letter will receive an answer and some will be drawn to win a gift!
My favorite Christmas addresses in Colmar
The best mulled wines at Colmar Christmas Market
I might as well tell you straight away… I have not tried them all. However, after a survey with my friends from Colmar and a proper tasting, my favorites are:
- White wine: Chez Alex, on the children’s Christmas market (the gingerbread is excellent too!)
- Red wine: Domaine Martin Jund, place Jeanne d’Arc (organic and from Colmar!)
The jams and gingerbread of Christine Ferber
I have already written about the jam fairy Christine Ferber. Her shop is located in Niedermorschwihr, but, good news, her jams, gingerbread and cakes are also sold at the shop Le Cabinet de Curiosités during the Christmas season. Le Cabinet de Curiosités is a unique place, where you will be able to find a calligraphy workshop, as well as old books, engravings, drawings, photographs… It’s a very beautiful place right in the town center of Colmar, perfect for a cultural and gourmet break!
Looking for a Kouglof for tomorrow’s breakfast?
Go to the chalet of Pâtisserie Lorber on the Christmas market on Place de l’Ancienne Douane, near to the children’s carousel.
Looking for a break in a warm and cozy place?
Colmar’s Christmas market is big and you might need small breaks in a warm and cozy place to not end up frozen or having to shorten your visit. You will be able to find here a list of my favorite tea rooms in Colmar, the perfect places to drink a good tea or a hot chocolate and start fresh again!
- Colmar, is already superb on normal days, but is even more stunning with the lights and decorations of the Christmas market
- Good size: there is a lot to see, but it’s not too big!
- There are a lot of nice objects and good specialties to observe, try or buy!
I liked a little less
- There is a lot of people on weekends
My pictures of Colmar Christmas Market
Dates and map
You will find here all practical information about Colmar Christmas Market (times, map, parking…)
The Christmas Market is located in the town center of Colmar. Colmar is located:
- 45 km from Mulhouse (about 40 minutes drive)
- 75 km from Strasbourg (about 1h drive)
By public transport
You can walk to Colmar town center in 10/15 minutes from the train station. You can have a look at your itinerary on the website Vialsace and also have a look at the website for Christmas shuttles, special shuttles between several cities around Colmar (Kaysersberg, Riquewihr, Ribeauvillé and Eguisheim).
If you are feeling peckish, you will find a lot of things to taste on different Christmas markets.
Do you want to discover other Christmas markets? Here is a list of my favorite Christmas markets in Alsace!