Mulhouse Christmas Market, called “Etofféeries”, is not the most known Christmas market of Alsace, but it still deserves an article, because it’s a market that I really like. It is smaller than Colmar or Strasbourg Christmas Markets, but it is also part of the reason why I like it. The atmosphere is quite intimate: you will find here as many locals as tourists, and it’s traditional for the people of Mulhouse to meander between chalets, before drinking some mulled wine among friends.
Mulhouse may not have the charm and reputation of neighboring markets, but it has other assets! One of them is the Christmas Fabric made each year to decorate all the chalets of the market. It is also sold by the meter and used to make some pretty objects. I find this Christmas fabric absolutely stunning every year. Moreover, it is produced locally!
Mulhouse Christmas Market is located on Place de la Réunion, the beautiful main square of the city. Look up to admire the facades, as they are really worth a look. From the square, the market extends around the Temple Saint-Etienne, as well as to Place des Victoires and to Rue des Cordiers. The chalets located Rue des Cordiers are mainly focused on gastronomy.
- La Place de la Réunion is a beautiful background for the Christmas market
- The Christmas fabric and the superb stores
- Intimate atmosphere
I liked a little less
- Mulhouse is not as well decorated as some other cities of Alsace
Not to be missed at Mulhouse Christmas Market
My favorite thing at Mulhouse Christmas Market is definitely the Christmas shops, where you will find really pretty things. They are perfect to bring back a small souvenir from Alsace or to make a gift.
- The Fabric store. This is where you will find the Christmas fabric: it is sold by the meter, but there are also numerous objects made from this fabric (tablecloth, napkins, decorations for the tree, jewelry…). The store also offers many beautiful Alsatian objects, as well as a beautiful exhibition of clothes made from the Christmas fabric.
- The shop of the Museum of Printed Textiles. The museum is a bit far from the Christmas market (it is close to the train station), but you will also find there some really beautiful things: a lot of textile of course, but also various decorative items.
- The museum store, as presented below.
For old and young alike
- The 33m Ferris wheel located on Place de la Réunion deserves a stop. It is quite fun and the view on the Christmas market is vertiginous! I would recommend you to do it at night, when the market is all illuminated.
- The Museum store. This shop gathers many different objects from the stores of museums of the Mulhouse area. The decor is very beautiful (photographs of Alsace are printed on textiles and it’s very well done) and you will be able to find many cute little things for children (small cars from the Cité de l’Automobile for example), as well as for adults (fabrics from the Textile Ecomuseum, jams from the Ecomuseum of Alsace,…)
- The ice-skating rink. Located Cour des Maréchaux, the ice-skating rink is not very big, but it’s good fun for the young ones!
- The Christmas chalet. Located Place de la réunion, this large wooden chalet host many activities: workshops to make Christmas balls, candle holders, bredalas (small traditional Christmas cookies)… Have a look at the schedule here.
My favorite Christmas addresses in Mulhouse
The best mulled wine of Mulhouse market
After having conducted a survey with the inhabitants of Mulhouse and having made a tasting, the prize of the best mulled wine goes to the chalet Chez Mathilde, that you can find right at the end of the market (on the opposite side of the town hall). It is delicious! For those of you who don’t like mulled wine, their hot chocolate is apparently just as good.
The best place for a cozy and warm break
If you have already walked around a Christmas market, you will known that there is always a point in time where you start to get cold (yes, even with a down jacket, a scarf, a hat and gloves). Instead of drinking liters of mulled wine to try to warm yourself up or to cut short your visit, why not try taking a break at the coffeeshop Le temps d’une pause, which is ideally located a 3 minutes walk from the market.
This is a place I really love in Mulhouse. You can taste there teas, coffees, hot chocolates, homemade pastries in a warm setting, at a table or sitting in a comfortable couch. There is even free WiFi… perfect to post your pictures of the Christmas market on social networks 😉
My pictures of Mulhouse Christmas Market
Dates and map
You will find here all the practical information about Mulhouse Christmas Market (opening times, map, parking…)
The Christmas Market is located in the town center of Mulhouse. Mulhouse is located:
- 45 km from Colmar (about 40 minutes drive)
- 117 km from Strasbourg (about 1h25 drive)
By public transport
You can get to the town center of Mulhouse in 10/15 minutes walk from the train station. There are also tramways. You can search for itineraries on Vialsace.
Do you want to discover other Christmas markets? Here is a list of my favorite Christmas markets in Alsace!